Friday, October 16, 2009

A New Layout

I think a blog's layout says a lot about its author or topic. When I made a blog, I just picked any random design and started blogging. As I started to view different blogs, I immediately judged it on the way it looked before reading it. If it looked plain and boring, I would instantly think it would be boring. Whether it was boring or not, the layout is still a huge part of the way I view a blog. After viewing many blogs on my topic of journalism, I had a pretty good idea of what I would want a blog to look like.

When I went back onto my blog, it wasn't engaging and looked kind of corny. The colors were random and the template had a random star in the corner. I assumed I would quickly go change the layout and color choices but it was harder than I thought it would be. This was so different from the first time I made my blog because the color choices didn't really matter to me. This time, I was changing templates, then changing the color, and I couldn't make up my mind.

I finally settled on a simple layout with colors that didn't distract you from the entries. I also made the background white opposed to the original lime green color because it was hard to read the entry. If some person came to my blog and had trouble reading it, they would move on without reading the important aspects of the blog. I also made the links a dark orange that are easy to read and that stand out.

To me, a layout is equally important to its entries. Originally, my blog looked childish and any person would judge it based on the color choices. Now the blog is engaging, easy to read, and colorful to a certain extent. If I hadn't viewed other blogs, I would have thought mine was fine. Viewing other blogs is an important aspect of this class.

1 comment:

  1. Kells, I think it looks a lot better. And there's nothing to say you can't keep tinkering with it and tweaking the design as you see fit.

    Anyway, I put some links on your wiki research page of articles/blog entries that you might be interested in. As with most of the stuff you'll read, each of these has links in them that will take you to even more (possibly) interesting or relevant stuff. Keep reading.

    ReplyDelete