Wednesday, November 4, 2009

A 2-Day Layoff Spree by Time Inc.


As I was looking through my Google Reader, I came across a newly posted article on the New York Times' media blog called Media Decoder. Media Decoder was my original blog that I used to get research, and it continues to post things that are very relevant to my topic. I came across a post about Time Inc. issueing that they will be laying off 280 people. As I continued to scroll, I noticed a whole series of posts just relating to the layoffs. A blogger was continuously updating posts as she found new information.


On November 3, 2009, a Media Decoder blogger, Stephanie Clifford, posted an article about the job cuts. It didn't have definite statistics and was a very general post mentioning that the cuts were going to start at the Sports Illustrated. It did mention that 15-20 employees were laid off just that night, right around when she posted the blog. The post also mentioned that they were predicting more job cuts for the next day. Laying off all these people will save the incorporation over $100 million. At 10:13 am the next day, she posted a much longer blog mentioning why there will be so many job cuts. The blogger said there will be no magazines being cut and these job cuts will save the company millions of dollars. She followed this by saying that there was going to be a 10:30 conference call from Time Inc. giving more information. At 12:07 that day, Stephanie posted another blog updating people on the reasons for the cuts and how the magazine is doing with it's renevue. There were a few more continuous blogs about the job cuts because it was an ongoing issue throughout the day.


One of the points I'm making is that the same blogger posted blogs throughout the day to update people on the issue. In a newspaper, you wouldn't be able to hear the changes in the story because once it is in print, it can't be changed. Someone who reads the paper in the morning wouldn't know that there were changes or updates in the story.


I also decided to write about the 280 Time job cuts because it makes me nervous about the future. I hope to someday work for a magazine, and it never really crossed my mind that magazines were doing bad too. To me, 280 job cuts is too many, and it is a scary number. The economy and the vast internet makes me nervous about the future. The only reason why I'm not totally nervous because maybe the magazines will move to the internet. You will always need someone to write the news. This issue relates to my topic about the changing media, but it also relates to the economy and how it is affecting our lives.

Photo Credit: Time Magazine uploaded by zawmyonaing

1 comment: